Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Rusty screws

Amy
    Amy
    Admin

Rusty screws Empty Rusty screws

Post  Amy Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:51 pm

This is more of a problem with the mini owner than the mini but...does anyone have any ideas how I can get these screws undone??

Rusty screws IMG_0106

They're holding my foglamp bracket on. I need to undo them so I can fit a new wider foglamp bracket then move the foglamp across so I can fit bumper over riders.

I've tried a screwdriver! Then I tried soaking them in wd40 and using a big old impact screw driver thing, nope. They are rusted onto the bracket! I tried chiseling around them a bit to lift them away from it, nope. Looks like the heads have ground away a bit now so the screwdriver slips.

Any ideas?

Do i need to sell my mini and buy another with non-rusty screws? Sad
    Matt
    Matt

Rusty screws Empty Re: Rusty screws

Post  Matt Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:33 pm

How rusty is the rear valence? as the nuts on the other side are welded to it and they can break away making a larger hole if the screws are really seized, have you soaked them with wd40 from the back side try some decent mole grips on the screws failing that drill them out and put some slightly larger nut inserts in just depends whats lurking under that bracket!
    Amy
    Amy
    Admin

Post  Amy Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:09 pm

Thanks matt! I need to identify what mole grips are before I do this Embarassed

Goodness knows whats behind that bracket, orange crumbly metal no doubt. There are some nuts holding the foglight onto the bracket which are easier to get to. Couln't get them to turn without the whole bolt and nut turning as one the other day, going to have another go at it tonight once I've borrowed my dad's molegrips. A year ago I don't think I'd even used a screwdriver so having a mini is teaching me things! Still clueless though... Rolling Eyes

Post  ....... Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:39 pm

Last edited by greg on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    tonymap

Rusty screws Empty tight nuts bolts

Post  tonymap Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:07 pm

greg wrote:grind the heads off Razz punch the tread out Laughing naah only joking well you could i guess but dont haha
    hello a usefull tool in the garage is a gas blowlamp used with caution its great for heating tight bolt / nuts ect .i often have used it on my classics BUT PLEASE USE WITH CARE ..TONY

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content